10 Commandments of Madison-Bouckville Antique Week
Madison-Bouckville Antique Week is here. Over 2,000 vendors spread over 14 fields makes for an exciting day of hunting for that perfect thing you just have to have. Whether you're a serious collector or a casual impulse shopper, there are some things you need to know to conquer an event of this size and scale.
Here are the 10 Commandments of Madison-Bouckville Antique Week:
- For the best deals, get there early...or late. If you're a serious collector, you'll want to get there early, preferably on the very first day. Some of the best buys and most unique pieces get snapped up early. On the other hand, if you're looking to score a great deal, sometimes late is the way to go when the dealers would rather sell an item than pack it back up.
- Haggle, but don't be a jerk. It's fair to ask what the dealer will accept for a particular item, but don't make an offer that's insultingly low, or criticize the item or the pricing if you don't make a deal.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You're gonna be walking...a lot. Fashion should take a back seat to comfort.
- If you like it, buy it. It might be gone later, and you don't want to live with that regret.
- Don't forget where you left that item you were gonna pick up later. We're speaking from personal experience here.
- Get something to eat. There's so much food to choose from, you're missing out if you don't grab something.
- Don't overspend. It's easy to spend more than you planned because you have to have that Bionic Man lunchbox, but don't do it.
- Wear sunscreen. Duh.
- Develop a strategy with your shopping partner on how you're going to get to all the vendors. Some people just drift while others follow a strict aisle-by-aisle strategy.
- Make sure you visit the vendors out on the roadsides as well. Some of your best deals can be found in those little nooks and crannies.
Whatever you do, be sure you have a great time at one of Central New York's iconic summer events.