8 Things Central New Yorkers Like to Complain About… But Shouldn’t
Who doesn't like to complain every once in a while? Well, there are a few things that "upset" us in Central New York, that really shouldn't.
1. The Unpredictable Weather: The weather is unpredictable anywhere. Yes, it seems like there are more extremes in Central New York, but no matter where you go there are going to be days when the forecast is something completely different than what happens. Weather is unpredictable. Plain and simple.
2. Potholes: The potholes in Central New York are pretty bad, but here's the thing... Number One: complaining about them doesn't do anything, they're still going to be there. Sometimes they get patched, but it's just a matter of time before the road starts falling apart again. Number Two: there are areas in other states that have a worse pothole problem (really). Just drive through Michigan. You'll probably need to get your car fixed just after 50 or 60 miles.
3. Rainbow: He's a figure of our city, whether you like it or not. If you don't like Rainbow, then ignore him. If you don't like people liking him, well that sounds more like a personal problem to us.
4. There's Nothing to Do: You're just not looking hard enough (or you don't really want to find something to do, you just want to complain). Have you ever heard of the organization "I Love Utica?" They strive to find interesting and fun things to do in and around the city of Utica, and a lot of times they create their own events to bring people together. Just look at their "Tomato Pie Day."
5. The Snow: We live in Central New York, IT SNOWS! It snows in a lot of places around the country, some more than others. If you don't like it, why do you live here? Why not move further south where it doesn't snow, or at least not as much?
6. The Traffic: If you complain about the traffic, you must have never had to drive through New York City, Boston, or any other big city (even Detroit is SO much worse). There is no bad traffic in Central New York. Yes, sometimes the Thruway gets a little backed up or you hit every light on Genesee Street, but it's still nothing compared to other areas around the country.
7. The Boilermaker: Really? You're going to complain about such a huge event that helps put Utica on the map? Yes, it blocks off a few roads for one Sunday out of the year. But it's not like you're stuck. There are other ways to get around the area, it just may take a little longer. It's one day, seriously. Complaining about this is pretty selfish... Just saying.
8. Having to Travel 10 or 20 Miles to Go Somewhere: This is just craziness, and everyone seems to do it (even Naomi Lynn has caught herself starting to do this). 10 miles is not that far. 20 miles isn't even that far. But for some reason, that's enough to stop people from going somewhere, "It's just too far. I'm never out that way." Sure, if you're on your way home from work you don't want to drive 20 miles out of your way, but on the weekends? What's wrong with a little drive? It's definitely not something to complain about. If you don't want to travel that far then just don't go, but don't complain about not being able to go because it's too far. That was your decision.