John Mellencamp Splits With Wife
John Mellencamp and model Elaine Irwin Mellencamp have split after more than 18 years of marriage. A rep told Hollywood Reporter, “John and Elaine Mellencamp are proud of their 20 years together and are very happy with their accomplishments both as parents and as a family. They will continue to raise their two children in Indiana but have decided to call it a day as a couple.”
- They first met during a shoot for the album cover to Mellecanmp’s 1991 release Whenever We Wanted. The couple got engaged 10 weeks later and tied the knot in September 1992. They have two teenage sons together. Mellencamp also has three other children from two previous marriages.
- Mellencamp will begin a U.S. tour next month in support of his latest studio album, No Better Than This.
- Irwin is a spokeswoman for Almay Cosmetics.
- In other news, a source tells the New York Post that Mellencamp has started up a new friendship with actress Meg Ryan. In October, they were spotted walking arm-in-arm in Manhattan, sparking rumors of a romance. The source dishes, “Meg has been to a couple of recent shows.”
- According to People.com, Mellencamp had a relaxing New Year’s at his Daufuskie Island, South Carolina home.