Weekend Winter Road Trip to Albany-5 FREE Fun Things to Do
Now that the cold weather's here to stay for awhile, we may as well make the most of it. Here are 5 fun free activities you can partake in on a weekend winter road trip to Albany.
When's the last time you visited the state capitol of Albany, NY?
The Capitol District offers plenty to do in the winter. Consider taking a family road trip and checking out the various activities you can enjoy there for FREE.
1. Ice Skating- The Empire State Plaza's ice skating rink is open from 11:00 to 8:00 daily. If you have your own skates, it's FREE to skate. If you need to rent skates it's $3.00 for kids and $4.00 for adults.They even have a snack bar open on the weekend. For details on ice skating CLICK HERE.
2. The New York State Museum- Admission to the museum is FREE. Museum hours are Tuesday-Sunday 9:30-5:00. I've been to the museum at least a dozen times, and it never disappoints. They have wildlife exhibitions, a vast collection of historic artifacts, and dozens of attractions. You're children will receive a free education! For more information on the museum CLICK HERE.
3. Tour the Capitol Building- You can take a guided tour of the Capitol 7 days a week, and they're totally FREE. Call 518-474-2418 for tour times. While you're there, you can check out the building's spectacular architecture. According to Albany.com:
The New York State Capitol Building showcases masonry that took over 25 years to complete.
4. The Corning Tower Observation Deck- If you're not afraid of heights, take an elevator ride up in the tallest building outside of New York City. The 42nd floor offers excellent views of the Hudson River, the Adirondacks, Catskills, and Berkshire Mountains. Its FREE and open from 10-4 daily.
5. A Winter Walk around Washington Park- This beautiful park is home to the Tulip Festival once the weather gets warmer, but in the meantime, it provides an excellent opportunity for exercise and family bonding.
Here's a video that captures summer fun in the Capitol District.