Does your home have radon in it? Have you ever heard of radon? Well, it's a pretty serious problem to have and in most cases goes undetected in many households. If this toxic gas is in your home, immediate action is required. This gas is known to cause lung cancer.

According to the EPA website, radon is the number one cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, and the third leading cause overall. This gas has no smell, no taste, and is invisible to the human eye.

Overall, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Radon is responsible for about 21,000 lung cancer deaths every year. About 2,900 of these deaths occur among people who have never smoked.

So what is the cause of this deadly gas and how do you know if it's in your house? Radon is a radioactive gas that comes from the natural decay of uranium. Usually the source of this decay happens in the basement of a home, or underneath it. Many areas of Central New York have deposits of uranium in the soil or in the water. In most cases the only time radon is discovered is when a home is sold. Real Estate agents are required to run a test before the sell any new property. Those who never plan to sell, or have lived in one place for a long time may be at risk. There is a solution.

Some test kits are free depending on what county you live in, but basically you have to purchase a test kit in order to know for sure if this deadly poison is lingering in your home. To order a kit and get more information you can call the National Radon Hotline at 1-800-SOS-RADON. If dangerous levels of radon are found in your home, the problem may be corrected with a radon filtration system. Don't take chances with the health of your family. Check for this deadly gas in your home today.


BONUS VIDEO: Tour The Real Amityville Horror House