Read the Inscription on the Whitesboro Bicentennial Monument
The village of Whitesboro celebrated the 200th anniversary of the founding of the village in June of 2013. One of the celebrations included the unveiling of a new monument on the village green that tells the history of the village. Read below for what the stone inscription says.
Bearing the name of our founding father, the village of Whitesborough was incorporated by an act of the New York State Legislature March 26, 2013. The corporate name was changed to its current spelling, Whitesboro, on June 14, 1884 – 100 years after Hugh White’s first settlement on the banks of the Sauquoit Creek’s west branch.
Whitesboro was the home of many prominent and respected individuals during its formative years with growth beyond what even the early settlers imagined, including those who would go on to settle many neighboring hamlets, villages and towns. Growth was further enhanced with the opening of the Erie Canal in October of 1825, the railroad in 1838 and interurban trolleys in 1866.
Counted among the many notable institutions our village has been home to was the Oneida County courthouse, now our town hall, with honorable Hugh White serving as one of the first justices, the Whitestown Seminary whose trustees were some of the most influential people of the time. Turn out many who gained great distinction in life and many of whom their names adorn our streets.
With this monument we commemorate the character and achievements of all those who have contributed to the honorable reputation of this village which retains the name of our founder Hugh Whites.
We are eternally grateful to our loyal citizenry.