Disney Updates Their Calendar and Gives ‘The Muppets 2′ a New Title
Here are the big items:
- To gear up for Oscar season, Disney's upcoming film 'Saving Mr. Banks,' which stars Oscar-winners Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson, will get a limited release on December 13 a week before going wide on December 20.
- 'The Muppets' sequel had its name changed from 'The Muppets... Again' to 'The Muppets Most Wanted.' It's still due out March 21, 2014.
- 'Planes,' which hits theaters August 9, already has a sequel in the works that's titled 'Planes: Fire and Rescue.' That follow-up is due out July 18, 2014. Rushing it, aren't we?
- Lasse Halstrom's 'The Hundred-Foot Journey,' an adaptation of Richard C. Morais's best selling book, is due out August 8, 2014
- 'Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day,' which stars Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner, is now scheduled to hit theaters October 10, 2014.
- Brad Bird's 'Tomorrowland,' which stars George Clooney, has moved up a week and will now hit theaters December 12, 2014.
- Rob Marshall's 'Into the Woods' is now scheduled for a Christmas release on December 25, 2014.
Of course -- as we've seen before -- release dates are rarely etched in stone, especially the further out they get. The biggest surprise is that a 'Planes' sequel is already in the works as it seems hard to believe that goodwill towards the 'Cars' franchise will make the first film a hit. Though it also suggests that going direct to video is less of an appealing option in the VOD era.