New ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 3 Characters Introduced [POLL]
The already large universe of characters who make up the cast of HBO's Game of Thrones is about to get larger. HBO has announced several additions to the list of Westeros inhabitants.
James Hibbard of Entertainment Weekly names the following characters. My observations follow (may contain very minor spoilers):
- Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.
- Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.
- Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.
- Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.
- Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.
- Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.
- Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.
- Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.
- Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.
- Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.
- Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.
A few of my observations and expectations for the new slew of characters:
Daario: He will be involved in some way with Daenerys. The Mother of Dragons found out how treaterous it can be dealing with those from across the Narrow Sea. With Daario be friend or foe?
The Reeds: Favorites of many from the book series and essential to work with Bran. If only Bran were a few years older, Meera would make a suitable love interest.
Lady Selyse and Sheereen: We found out in Season 2 the relationship between Stannis and Melisandre. How will Stannis's wife and daughter play into this complicated family situation?
Olenna Redwine: We've already seen a much sharper and shrewd Queen Margaery Tyrell in GOT compared to the book series. How will the addition of her grandmother aid her stated goal of not just being a queen but being the queen?
[Entertainment Weekly via Winter is Coming.net]