The New York Ontario and Western railroad once criss-crossed upstate New York from the Delaware Valley to the Lake Ontario port city of Oswego.  Lines ran to Utica and Rome and south to the coal rich mountains of northeast Pennsylvania.

It was on March 29 of 1957 that this railroad made it's final run.  The distinction is that the NYO&W was the first major railroad in the nation to be completely abandoned.

According to Wikipedia, the rail line first came to Central New York,

During 1886, the O&W acquired the operations of both the Utica, Clinton & Binghamton and the Rome & Clinton railroads from the Delaware & Hudson Canal Company. By acquisition of these assets and construction of a new line to Sylvan Beach on the east shore of Lake Oneida, the O&W extended its operations into new market areas, and the Sylvan Beach Loop became a seasonally-significant corridor by providing transportation to central New York's recreational resort area.