Stone Meeting House – CNY Paranormal
The Central New York region is known for the confluence of cultures which currently populate the region, and have helped our region develop its unique cultural views.
One of the cultures that helped form our area is the Welsh culture. Immigrating in the late 1700s, Welsh settlers were drawn to the Central New York region as it reminded them of the hills of Wales. Baron de Steuben was gifted with a large plot of land by First President George Washington as a gift for his service to the newly created United States of America. Offering smaller plots of this land for inexpensive prices, Welsh settlers could not resist moving to the area.
When the Welsh came to this area, they were determined to hold on to many of their traditions from Wales. The Welsh were renowned for their singing skills, as well as their religious beliefs. Soon after settling in the area, they began forming churches.
One such church was Capel Cerrig (Stone Church). This church was built in 1831, and is located in downtown Remsen. The church was built out of stone, and has remained unchanged since it was built, with the exception of a new slate roof in 1888. The church was actively used until 1986, at which point its congregation had dwindled to 4 full time attendees. The church was then purchased by the Remsen-Steuben Historical Society, and is used to house their local history collections, as well as hosting local events.
The Stone Meeting House, as it is now named, has often been thought to be haunted. Reports of strange lights, and feeling watched have been reported by many. Investigations of the building have revealed that those reports most likely are accurate. Photographs have been taken of the building that show a shadowy figure of a man in a top hat. Audio recordings made on the site indicate that there are at least two spirits present, a chatty female spirit and a sarcastic male spirit.
Listen to EVPs from the Stone Meeting House: