Dumbest Laws in New York State
New York has a lot of things to really love: the city, the Adirondacks, the food and the diversity. It's safe to say there are a few things to dislike, too - taxes, anyone? These dumb laws really take the cake.
Try and imagine the scenario that led to the passage of a law about ice cream in your pocket. Was that a thing back in the day? Crazy.
Here are some of the dumbest laws in New York, according to DumbLaws.com:
- It is illegal to congregate in public with two or more people while each wearing a mask or any face covering which disguises your identity.
- In New York, adultery is still a crime.
- It is against the law to throw a ball at someone’s head for fun.
- The penalty for jumping off a building is death.
- New Yorkers cannot dissolve a marriage for irreconcilable differences unless they both agree to it.
- A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket.
- Women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business.
- While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door.
- You may not smoke within 100 feet of the entrance to a public building.
- Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 PM.
- It is illegal for a woman to be on the street wearing “body hugging clothing”.
- Citizens may not greet each other by “putting one’s thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers”.
- A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting.
How many of these laws have you broken?