Looking to fly out of a New York airport in 2016? Do you have the right license? Your standard drivers license will NOT get you through security coming up in 2016. 

Our friends over at WGNA in Albany report beginning in 2016, a New York State driver’s license won’t be acceptable for identification purposes prior to board a domestic airline. You'll need to have either an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL), or a passport.

The federal REAL ID Act beginning next year designates only certain forms of identification for domestic air travel and the Homeland Security website lists New York as one of the non-compliant states. An Enhanced Driver’s License meets the requirements. It does require proof of date of birth, state residency and U.S. citizenship. The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles website has all the details of what you’ll need.

So basically New York's standard drivers license are not in compliance with the REAL ID Act which will be required to board any airplane in the U.S. Currently 21 states have this policy in place. These changes will come in New York next year.

If you weren't already mad enough at that news get ready for this bombshell: the cost of an enhanced license is $94.50!

On the plus side, you can use this license for land or sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries instead of a passport. You can find more info by Clicking Here.




More From Lite 98.7