Bear On The Loose In Deerfield
There's a bear and possibly more, roaming around in Deerfield.
At least one bear was spotted in Deerfield on Doyle Road. You're encouraged to use extra caution this time of year.
If a bear approaches you raise your arms and speak in a loud, calm voice while backing away. If it's followers you do not run, but continue to back away while talking loudly.
Follow these steps provided by the NY DEC to do your part in keeping the community safe.
- Never feed bears! It is illegal, dangerous and detrimental to bears.
- Take down bird feeders after April 1.
- Clean off barbecue grill before nightfall and don’t forget the grease trap.
- Store garbage in a secure building or location, secure can lid with ropes/bungees/chains; never over-fill cans, and dispose of garbage as frequently as possible.
- Clean garbage cans frequently with ammonia products.
- Do not burn trash as it can attract bears.
- Do not add meat scraps, bones or melon rinds to your compost pile.
- Feed pets indoors and store pet food indoors. If pets must be fed outside, immediately remove all uneaten food and dishes.