The 10 Rules of Camping in the Adirondacks
1. Be Friendly to Your Camping Neighbors: Maybe you'll make some new friends to play KanJam with or maybe you'll all sit by the campfire exchanging stories. You never know unless you make an effort to be friendly to those on the sites next to you.
2. Bug Spray and Sunscreen: You won't survive without these two essential items. Seriously, the black flies will get you and the sun will cook you (especially if you do any paddling on the lakes).
3. Don't Skimp on the Ice or Firewood: You can never have too much of either. It's better to be over-prepared than to run out (because if you run out, you KNOW it's going to happen at the worst possible time).
4. Bring Adult Beverages: It's not a camping adventure unless you have a cooler full of beer, a few bottles of wine, or even a bottle of vodka for a Bloody Mary and/or mixed drinks.
5. Bring a Coat and Extra Blankets: You never know if it's going to end up getting cold on you. It's just better to be prepared... Just in case.
6. You Need to Make S'mores: At least one. Or roast something over the campfire. There's nothing more "outdoorsy" than that.
7. Plan Your Menu Ahead of Time: Know what you're cooking and when. It makes things easier, plus it gives you the opportunity to pre-cook things like chicken.
8. Don't Leave Food Out... EVER: This should be a no-brainer. The last thing you want to do is attract bears and wildlife while you're camping, especially if you're staying in a tent. Dispose of food waste and food wrappers properly.
9. Be Prepared for Rain: The weather can change in an instant, don't let it put a damper on your weekend getaway. Have tarps and an easy-up to keep everything dry, but also have cards handy or other activities you can do if Mother Nature makes a turn for the worst.
10. Unplug: Put the phone away (taking a few pictures is okay, but that's it). Don't be texting, checking Facebook, or doing anything for work. Focus your time on soaking up the sights and sounds of the Adirondacks. Besides, that's why we all get away in the first place, right?