First Day of Spring Brings Warmer Temperatures to Utica/Rome
March 20 is the first official day of spring, and the Utica/Rome area will get the glimpse that spring has finally sprung.
The National Weather Service out of Binghamton reports "warmer than usual" temperatures that will take over this weekend (starting March 20th) and into early next week.
A breezy and dry end to the week as the cold front slides further away and high pressure builds into the region. This high pressure system will remain with us through the weekend and likely into the first half of next week. A gradual temperature warm up is in the forecast as we welcome the start of spring this Saturday.
Hopefully, the weather we're expecting is a sign that spring is here to stay, but we live in Central New York. Unfortunately, a snow storm next week wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.
Five Day Weather Outlook:
- Today: Sunny, with a high near 33. North wind around 14 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
- Tonight: Clear, with a low around 15. West wind 5 to 9 mph.
- Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 47. West wind 5 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.
- Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 28. Northwest wind 3 to 7 mph.
- Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 56. Calm wind.
- Sunday Night: Clear, with a low around 32.
- Monday: Sunny, with a high near 59.
- Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 33.
- Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 60.
The start of spring does bring some changes that could make you happier and healthier, according to The Guardian.
For one, there's better light. The sunshine will have a big impact on our mood, and since we just changed the clocks so it's brighter later, that dramatically increases our levels of happiness. Plus, the sky is bluer. It's not your imagination, the sky actually looks more blue in the springtime. It's due in part to the Sun's position in the sky this time of year.
During the spring, you might sleep better as well. Being exposed to more sunlight during the day can help you sleep better at night. If you're sleeping better, you'll feel more awake and able to concentrate during the day.
Outdoor activities are also a mood enhancer. Anything that gets you outside and moving is probably good for your health and wellbeing. It can affect everything from your metabolism, weight, and mood, to things like cardiovascular disease and even eyesight.
KEEP READING: Get answers to 51 of the most frequently asked weather questions...
LOOK: The most expensive weather and climate disasters in recent decades