Herkimer Student Buys Classmates Smoke Alarms with Birthday Money
Okay, I need some tissues immediately. A central New York student used his birthday money to buy smoke detectors for his classmates.
Brett Saunders, a third-grader at Herkimer Elementary School, got the idea after classmates 7-year-old Michael and 6-year-old Richard DeCarlis were killed in a house fire in January, along with their 1-year-old brother Jackson.
"I got $250 and the Herkimer Fire Department and the Red Cross doubled that, so I got $500," Saunders told WKTV.
Additional donations from Guardian Protection, Hummels, Partech and local anonymous donors made it possible for all 610 Herkimer Elementary students to go home with smoke detectors, the Herkimer Fire Department posted on Facebook.
This is amazing. Great job to Brett Saunders for sparking this project and to all the donors for making sure every student will be safer going home each day. What do you say.... Can we get this kid on Ellen??