UPD Officers Credited With Saving Distraught Man’s Life
Several Utica Police officers are being credited with saving a distraught man's life.
Police were called to 513 Milgate Street early Friday morning for a report of man standing on a porch with a handgun.
When officers arrived, the 30-year old man demanded that police shoot him. After about 30 minutes of talking with the man, he surrendered to police without incident.
Authorities say the man was in possession of a BB gun that looked like a semi-automatic handgun. He was taken to a local hospital for a mental health evaluation.
UPD Chief Mark Williams is praising the officers for the patience, concern and restraint they showed.
The Utica police officers who responded to the call were:
• Sergeant Frank Scarchilli,
• Police Officer Fredrick Bruzzese
• Police Officer Joshua Skibinski
• Police Officer Sean Flanagan
• Police Officer Dzevad Bajrektarevic
• Police Officer Michael Balio
• Police Officer Carlie Heilig
• Police Officer Tyler DeMarco.