30 Best Places to Raise a Family in Upstate NY Include 6 CNY Locations
The latest study from the folks at Niche.com has determined 2018's Best Places to Raise a Family. Many factors were considered, including public school rankings, percentage of residents with a bachelor's degree or higher, cost of living, crime and safety stats, and grades for housing, walkability, family-friendly amenities, diversity of local population and other factors.
Take that list, boil it down to the Empire State and you've got six communities in Central New York that scored among the top 30 places in Upstate New York state to raise a family. Here's the list of CNY towns, with their Upstate NY rank and their overall state ranking:
- #26 (#183 statewide) Lansing, on the eastern shore of Cayuga Lake in Ithaca
- #22 (#166 in the state) Westvale, which is a western suburb of Syracuse
- #13 Hamilton (#90 statewide) Hamilton, home of Colgate University
- #6 (#51 in NY state) East Ithaca
- #4 (#45 statewide) Cayuga Heights, another upscale Ithaca community
- #3 (#44 in the state) Fayetteville, just east of Syracuse
Information was compiled from the resources of the Department of Education, the U.S. Census, and the FBI. How about YOUR community? Should it be on the list?