CNY Flooding and Winter Storm Update
We're having a wild end of the week thanks to the weather. Here's a recap of what has happened and what to expect.
Our New Year's deep freeze gave way to warm temperatures the past few days. That caused a major problem on Friday with ice jams along the Sauquoit Creek in Whitesboro. There are also still evacuation recommendations in place in the Village of Whitesboro for streets near the Sauquoit Creek, with a shelter open at the Whitesboro Fire Station. The Flood Warning has now been extended through 8:30pm (1/12/18). In addition, there was flooding due to ice jams on Steele's Creek in Ilion. Crews have cleared some of the ice and they are continuing to monitor the flooding situation as well.
Numerous schools took precautionary measures and cancelled after school activities on Friday (1/12/18), as well as weekend activities. Here's the updated list:
- Canastota - after school activities cancelled for Friday and Saturday
- Central Valley School District- All after school activities and Saturday events cancelled
- Dolgeville Central School District- All Saturday activities cancelled
- Frankfort-Schuyler - after school activities cancelled for Friday and Saturday
- Madison Central- All Friday afternoon and Saturday events cancelled
- Morrisville Eaton - all after school activities cancelled Friday and Saturday
- New Hartford schools - after school activities cancelled for Friday and Saturday
- Oneida City Schools - after school activities cancelled for Friday and Saturday
- Rome Public and Parochial schools have cancelled all after school activities through noon on Saturday
- Sauquoit Valley- All Saturday activities cancelled
- South Lewis Central - Early dismissal 10:30 am for High School/Middle School, 11:00 for elementary
- Stockbridge Valley - after school activities cancelled for Friday and Saturday
- Utica City Schools - all after school and weekend activities cancelled. Proctor Winter Ball postponed to Jan. 27
- VVS - All after school activities for today and tomorrow have been cancelled. Additionally this weekend's VVS Wrestling Invitational is postponed until Sunday (Jan 14) at 10am
- MVVV has postponed its Information Session that was scheduled for Saturday
- Madison Oneida BOCES- 5 hour course schedule for Saturday at the Oneida and Rome YMCA's are cancelled
Also, the Oneida County Public Market scheduled for Saturday at Utica's Union Station has been cancelled.
The National Weather Service has updated their warnings:
WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 PM EST SATURDAY (weather.gov)
Rain this evening will change to sleet and freezing rain. Then that will transition to all snow after midnight. Snow will be heavy at times and you could see localized accumulations of up to 9 inches by midday on Saturday. They have added these details as well:
The very rapid fall of temperatures this evening will flash freeze wet roadways and sidewalks. The combination of ice and gusty northwest winds may cause power outages and tree damage. Snow and sleet will be heavy and dense, making it a challenge to shovel. Be prepared for significant reductions in visibility at times. (weather.gov)
We will continue to bring you updates on the forecast and flooding in the region. Whatever you have planned, take your time and stay safe. We're in for a dramatic weather change once again.