Hazardous Driving Conditions Expected as Snow, Ice, Sleet Hit CNY
Central New York can expect hazardous driving conditions as a winter storm dumps anywhere from 8" - 14" of snow and freezing rain on the area.
A Winter Storm Warning is in effect for all of Central New York from Tuesday morning until Wednesday morning. A winter storm is expected to bring significant snowfall to the area, followed by freezing rain, ice, and sleet.
The National Weather Service says snow is expected to begin in the mid-late morning Tuesday, becoming steady by noon. Snow could fall as quickly as 2" per hour by late afternoon, and early evening in Central New York. Gusting winds will also make visibility difficult.
Hazardous driving conditions are possible during the morning commute, and likely this evening.
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THIS MORNING
TO 7 AM EST WEDNESDAY...
* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
accumulations of 8 to 14 inches and ice accumulations of up to
one tenth of an inch expected.
* WHERE...Onondaga, Madison and Oneida Counties.
* WHEN...From 6 AM today to 7 AM Wednesday. Snow develops this
morning with the main window for accumulations in the late
morning and afternoon. A change to freezing rain and sleet
occurs late afternoon and early evening before changing back to
light snow by Wednesday morning. Snow and ice amounts will vary
depending on how quickly the changeovers occur.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult. The
hazardous conditions could impact the morning commute and
definitely the evening commute today. Winds gusting as high as
30 mph are possible.
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING
TO 4 PM EST WEDNESDAY...
* WHAT...Heavy snowfall expected. Snow will mix with sleet
tonight. Total snow and sleet accumulations of 8 to 15 inches,
with greatest amounts over the southern Adirondacks. Some
freezing rain is possible in the Mohawk Valley with ice accumulations up to around a tenth of an inch.
* WHERE...Herkimer, Hamilton, Fulton, and Montgomery counties
* WHEN...From 10 AM today to 4 PM EST Wednesday.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel will be very difficult to dangerous
for the evening commute today. Snow will be heavy at times in
the afternoon into the evening with snow rates of 1 to 2 inches
per hour expected.
Take us everywhere you go with our new App. Listen live with all of your favorite shows with fewer commercials. The new app lets you call, message or tweet at us anytime or send us photos and videos. The app also gives you the ability to receive notifications about breaking news, weather alerts, traffic advisories and school closings happening in and around Central New York.
Winter Weather Preparation:
- Keep your cell phone charged and make sure you know where your backup power supply is.
- Make sure all your flashlights have fresh batteries.
- Fill your gas tank. You can use your car to keep warm and recharge devices.
- Have some food available that you don’t need to cook.
- Download the Lite 98.7 App. You’ll receive local alerts, weather reports and more with push notifications.