How Long Will Your Favorite Food Keep in The Fridge?
You love leftovers - but how long can those leftovers stay in the fridge before they don't love you?
It's not secret that my hubby (Dave) will eat literally anything that comes out of the fridge - which is particularly interesting since he has a poor sense of smell. So basically, if he doesn't see mold, he'll eat it.
I'm gonna present all of this to Dave as a quiz, but what do the authorities on food safety say? We're talking about a partnership between the FDA and the USDA called foodsafety.gov.
Here are their guidelines:
- COOKED MEAT OR POULTRY - 3-4 days in the fridge, 2-6 months in the freezer
- CHICKEN NUGGETS OR PATTIES - 3-4 days in the fridge, 1-3 months in the freezer
- PIZZA - 3-4 days in the fridge, 1 to 2 months in the freezer
- Opened package - 3-5 days fridge, 1-2 months freezer
- Unopened package - 2 weeks fridge, 1-2 months freezer
SALADS (like chicken, egg, ham, tuna, and macaroni):
- 3-5 days in the fridge, does not freeze well
- Whole - 1-2 days in the fridge, 1 year in the freezer
- Parts - 1-2 days in the fridge, 9 months in the freezer
RAW BEEF, VEAL, LAMB, and PORK:
- Steaks - 3-5 days fridge, 6-12 months
- Chops - 3-5 days fridge, 4-6 months
- Roasts - 3-5 days fridge, 4-12 months
HAMBURGER and OTHER GROUND MEATS:
- 1-2 days in the fridge, 3-4 months in the freezer
SOUPS & STEWS:
- With vegetable or meat added - 3-4 days in the fridge, 2-3 months in the freezer
Any of these sound off to you? I've definitely seen Dave eat leftover meatballs a week after I made them, and sausage even later than that.