This is a fun time of year. Fall is here and we start getting ready to Halloween. The jack o' lantern is a big part of that. Here are some tips to keep it fresher longer.A carved pumpkin starts to shrivel up as soon as it's cut and exposed to air. That can be heartbreaking especially for the little ones who created them. Here a few reminders that don't cost a thing to do.

  • Keep the masterpiece away from animals who would enjoy devouring it.
  • Keep it out of direct sunlight
  • Keep it cool
  • Don't leave your jack o' lantern outside if you're expecting a frost

Dehydration starts with the first cut on Mr. Lantern. It's important when you're buying a pumpkin to make sure there are no cuts, bruises or soft spots. Organisms can easily get inside any cut in the flesh, cause rot and then the dreaded cave in. By following these tips, your jack o' lantern should last about a week.

  • Remove dirt on exterior surfaces
  • Put 1 tablespoon of bleach and a quart of water in a spray bottle
  • Spray the solution inside and on all carved areas of the pumpkin
  • Let dry for about 20 minutes
  • Rub petroleum jelly, vegetable oil or lemon juice on all the carved surfaces to keep out bacteria, mold and reduce dehydration
  • Candles really shorten the lifespan of the pumpkin so try using a battery-operated candle or glow stick

Goodluck with the masterpiece!!! Take you pictures right away when he is fresh and perky, and not like the guys above. Don't forget to send us your pics so we can see how spooky or friendly they are.

Perfectly Pickled Products


More From Lite 98.7