8 Things to Get Excited for Now That It’s Fall
1. It's Time to Head to Fly Creek Cider Mill: Sure, you can go to the cider mill any time of the year, but it's definitely the place to be in the fall. Watch the apples being pressed into cider, enjoy some fresh donuts and apple wine, and of course stock up on all those delicious goodies like New York Cheese, Fly Creek's line of hot sauces and jams, and even soup mixes and other treats.
2. Hockey is Back: Fall means hockey, and luckily for us we have our own Utica Comets we can cheer on at the Adirondack Bank Center at the Utica Memorial Auditorium. This is one of my favorite parts of fall - IT'S HOCKEY SEASON!!
3. You Can Go on a Haunted Train Excursion: Take the Adirondack Scenic Railroad from Old Forge to Carter Station and hear tales of murderers and crimes that happened in that area. You'll even get off the train at one point and head into the woods! There's one more haunted train ride coming up on Saturday, October 13th. You can get more information and get your tickets by visiting: AdirondackRR.com
4. The Haunted Houses are Open Again: It gets darker sooner, there's a chill in the air, and you hear screams off in the distance. Yep, it's one of the MANY haunted houses popping back up in Central New York. Last year was the first year I finally got to check our Cayo Industrial right on Broad Street in Utica. That place has a bunch of different haunted attractions all in one place. If you're looking for a good scare, I suggest going there.
5. "Fright Fest" is Happening at Darien Lake: Now that Darien Lake is once again owned by Six Flags, "Fright Fest" is back, which is their spooky, halloween fun offered on the weekends. Yes, you'll have to make the trip to the western side of the state, but you get to ride roller coasters, go through haunted houses and mazes, get scared by zombies and ghouls, enjoy amusement park food, and wrap up the night with a laser light show. Sounds worth it to me. You can get more details on "Fright Fest" at the link below:
6. The Trees and Leaves Look Beautiful: Even if you don't like fall, you have to admit the fall foliage is beautiful. Seeing all the shades of yellow, orange, and red, especially with all the valleys and hills in our area, is just breath-taking... That is, until it all turns brown and all the leaves fall and everything is dead. So take in those beautiful sights before it's too late, by taking a drive through the Adirondacks or even through our area. You can get some great views just heading down 5s.
7. You Can Get Creative Carving Pumpkins: Who doesn't want to get a little creative and show off their artistic side? Even if you don't have an artistic side, carving pumpkins is a great way to get into that "fall spirit" and make this time of the year a little better (if you don't like it). Sure you could carve up other things like watermelons, pineapples, or whatever during the rest of the year, but that's just kind of weird. I think it's best to stick to carving in the fall and making that pumpkins instead of anything else.
8. Spooky Fun is Coming to the Utica Zoo: Fall is officially here which means we're getting closer to the Utica Zoo's annual halloween celebration "Spooktacular." For two days, the Utica Zoo will have live music, vendors, trick-or-treating set up, and other fun activities going on. You can get more details on "Spooktacular" at the link below: