Central New York Picks Its Most Annoying Songs
A woman in Great Britain recently made headlines when she got into a dispute with her neighbors because their van was blocking her sunlight.
She got revenge by blaring a song all hours of the day at high volume. The tune, a ridiculous 1922 novelty called "The Laughing Policeman" is full of silly lyrics and insipid, repetitive cackling.
We started thinking about which songs WE would choose if we wanted to annoy someone. Then, we asked Lite 98.7 listeners to respond on Facebook. Here's our collective list (in no particular order) of some of the Most Annoying Songs of All-Time:
- "I Love You" (The Barney song)
- "Beds Are Burning" (Midnight Oil)
- "Achy Breaky Heart" (Billy Ray Cyrus)
- "Baby Shark" (cartoon)
- "Love Shack" (B-52s)
- "I'm Gonna Be 500 Miles" (The Proclaimers)
- "Jack & Diane" (John Mellencamp)
- "Red Solo Cup" (Toby Keith)
- "I Kissed a Girl" (Katy Perry)
- "Sexy Back" (Justin Timberlake)
- "The Macarena" (Los Del Rio)
- "Rock the Boat" (The Hughes Corporation)
This proves that one man's ceiling is another man's floor. It's interesting that SOME of these songs are also enormously popular hits. It's similar to the phenomenon surrounding "We Built This City," by Starship, a song that reached #1 in 1985, but has since been dubbed The Worst Song of All Time by Blender, GQ, and other publications.
What's YOUR most annoying song? Drop me a note. Or call in your request weekday mornings from 5:30-10:00 AM on Lite 98.7