Local Rink Semi-Finalist for AHL Lighting Upgrade
We told you last month how the American Hockey League is giving away a lighting upgrade to one rink somewhere in the country. Now the field has been narrowed down to 10 semi-finalists, and two of them are in New York State.
The AHL has teamed up with Eaton, a power management company, to award an energy efficient LED sports lighting system (worth $50,000) to a community ice rink in one of their AHL markets. Essays were written and voting started. They are now down to 10 semi-finalists:
- Sunbury Ice Skating Rink & Community Center, Sunbury, PA (Hershey Bears)
- Beaver Dam Family Center Ice Arena, Beaver Dam, WI (Milwaukee Admirals)
- Oak Park Ice Arena, Stockton, CA (Stockton Heat)
- Greater Canandaigua Civic Center, Canandaigua, NY (Rochester Americans)
- Oakland Ice Center, Oakland, CA (San Jose Barracuda)
- Clinton Arena/Edward Stanley Recreation Center, Clinton, NY (Utica Comets)
- Toyota SportsPlex, Wilkes-Barre, PA (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins)
- Riverview Ice House, Rockford, IL (Rockford IceHogs)
- Griff’s IceHouse at Belknap Park, Grand Rapids, MI (Grand Rapids Griffins)
- Steel Ice Center, Bethlehem, PA (Lehigh Valley Phantoms)
They are now accepting votes through March 2nd and you can vote once every 24 hours. Let's see if we can bring this prize home to Clinton.
What could a $50,000 LED lighting upgrade mean for Clinton Arena? We already know that LED lights are much more energy efficient and can reduce the rink's lighting costs. But they also give off a lot less heat, making it easier to keep the ice frozen. According to Eaton,
A typical energy-efficient LED lighting solution can reduce overall energy costs (electricity + maintenance) by 70% percent. (Eaton/Ephesus)
So let's try to bring these upgrades to Central New York. Tell everyone you know to head over to LightLikeThePros.com to vote for the Clinton Arena.