The Sale of Certain Fireworks Now Legal in Herkimer, Madison, and other Counties in New York State
For longer than anyone can remember the sale of most fireworks have been illegal in New York State. New legislation has been passed in Herkimer County and some other counties in New York State that would allow certain fireworks to be sold at certain times during the year.
According to the Herkimer County Legislature 'Minutes' Governor Cuomo signed into law an amendment to a state law regarding the sale of "Sparkling Devices." These devices are defined as "ground-based or hand-held devices that produce a shower of white, gold, or colored sparks as their primary pyrotechnic effect." These types of devices include:
- Cylindrical Fountain
- Cone Fountain
- Wooden Sparkler/Dipped Stick
- Novelties which do not require approval from the U.S. Dept. of Transportation
- Party Poppers
These items are allowed to be sold under certain restrictions including,
- Sales will only be permitted on or between June 1st through July 5th and December 26th and January 2nd of each Calendar year.
- All distributors, manufacturers, and retailers must comply with any and all state laws and regulations regarding registration requirements.
- Only those 18 years of age or older may purchase said products.
Tami Seaman of Majestic Fireworks in Clinton, NY is very excited about the passing of this legislation. Seaman says,
For the state this is a huge revenue opportunity. The taxes that would be made off the sale of fireworks would benefit us as tax payers. Honestly, instead of losing our tax dollars to Pennsylvania, that revenue will stay here in the counties that are open to this law.
This will make for one exciting Fourth of July this year and I'll bet you can expect to hear a few more bangs and pops during your picnics and gatherings!