5 Free Kid’s Summer Activities in Central New York
"Moooom, I'm bored..." Those are the words every parent hates to hear during the summer from their children. It's easy to run out of ideas and even easier to run out of money trying to keep your kids entertained over the summer.
We've put together a list of 5 free activities you can enjoy with your kids in Central New York that won't break the bank and are fun for adults, too.
1. Marquee Cinemas Free Movies: Throughout the summer, Marquee Cinemas in New Hartford screens a variety of children's movies for free. This summer's offerings include The Lego Batman Movie and The Secret Life of Pets.
2. Utica Public Library Maker Mondays: This is geared toward kids 10 and older. Maker Mondays at the Utica Public Library expose kids to new technologies and indulge their creative sides with different craft projects. You can find details at the Utica Public Library website.
3. Free Admission Nights at the Utica Zoo: Lions and pandas and llamas, oh my. On certain evenings in July and August, the Utica Zoo offers free admission. You can visit the various animals and enjoy the updated playground as well. Visit uticazoo.org for the full Zoo calendar.
4. Picnic at one of the local town parks: The New Hartford Town Park is open until dusk and offers basketball courts, playgrounds, paved walking paths and marked trails through the woods. If you pack a lunch, you can spend a full day there without spending a nickel. If you want to spend a few dollars, Donovan Park in Chadwicks has a Splash Pad that you can enjoy on sunny days.
5. Take a stroll through Root Glen in Clinton: Root Glen, on the campus of Hamilton College, is a beautifully maintained trail among a variety of trees, shrubs, and flowers. You're certain to spot birds and butterflies on your walk as well.
Are there some great free activities you love to do around Central New York? Let us know, and we'll add them to our list.