The Ultimate Central New York Bucket List – 21 Things You Gotta Check Out
No more excuses saying 'There's nothing to do in Central New York.' Here you go - 21 exciting, fun things you have to check out at least once!
Want to see all that the Mohawk Valley has to offer? Well, unfortunately that will take years and years and years (if you're actually serious about seeing it all). But this is a good start. These are some of the biggest things you have to experience in the area - Even if it's just once. Here's our list - The Top 21:
***NOTE: You can also click on each suggestion listed to get more details about it...
1. Explore Howe Caverns: Go on a tour and go spelunking deep beneath the surface.
2. Go for a Balloon Ride at Airborne Adventures Ballooning in Munnsville: What a unique way to see Central New York, right?!
3. Take a Hike on Trenton Falls Scenic Trails: They are only open on specific weekends, so you'll need to plan this one in advance.
4. Make a Reservation at The Tailor and the Cook: The restaurant is known throughout the country and for a good reason. You have to try it at least once in your lifetime.
5. Go Camping in the Adirondacks: Old school camping - No RVs, don't stay in a cabin... Camp in a tent or under the stars.
6. Watch the Ostrich Races at Vernon Downs: Anyone can watch horses at the race track. Plan your visit so you can experience this unique Central New York sight.
7. See a Show at the Stanley: And we're not talking about Andy Grammer and Gavin DeGraw coming to the Stanley (although that's going to be amazing). See a Broadway Show.
8. Get an Enormous Ice Cream Cone From Dave's Diner: Bonus points if you can actually finish the whole thing (seriously, it's ridiculously big).
9. Mine for Herkimer Diamonds: Give yourself the day to do this, and get ready to get a little dirty.
10. Head to the Great New York State Fair: Don't just go for a free concert. Check out the food, the fair rides (even if you don't go on them), see a demonstration (like soap-making), THEN go see one of the free shows at the Chevy Court.
11. Take a Ride on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad: This isn't your average train ride. It's such an interesting and fun experience that you have to do at least once.
12. Go on a Tour of Fort Stanwix in Rome: Learn a little bit about the important history this area has to offer.
13. Experience the Cooperstown Beverage Trail: You don't have to make it through all 37 miles of the trail, but it would be pretty cool to say you were able to.
14. Spend a Day at Water Safari in Old Forge: If you're really up for it, take a ride down Killermanjaro.
15. Check Out Fly Creek Cider Mill: This isn't your ordinary cider mill. There are tours, samplings of foods, hard ciders, and other products... It's just an interesting experience, especially if you've never been there before. Apple salsa, anyone?
16. Find Hidden Treasures at Back of the Barn Antiques: This place (in Remsen) is amazing. You never know what you're going to find. Their collection of old books from the 1800s and early 1900s alone, is worth the trip.
17. Take the Family to the Sylvan Beach Amusement Park: The kids will love the rides, you can enjoy the family time together. Maybe spend some time at the beach or jam out to some live music.
18. Ride the Ski-Lift at McCauley in the Fall: You have to check out the spectacular view of the fall foliage.
19. Go Tubing in Westernville: Spend an afternoon at Woods Valley Ski Area - Make sure you ask for a "spin" when you go down the run.
20. Enjoy a Ride on Lil' Diamond Cruises: This is a unique way to see Herkimer and "The Valley" area of Central New York. Not only that, but you get to go through one of the locks on the Erie Canal - Which is pretty cool.
21. Order a Gigantic Omelet at Crazy Otto's: What's so special about an omelet? Well, order one and find out. Just some advice - You'll probably not need any sides with your breakfast, the omelet is MORE than enough!
If you live in Central New York, there's some of these you're sure to have already done. But we bet you've never done them all. Give it a try - Experience the best of CNY.